Worboys Release Not Challenged by Government – follows announcement on jailed rapist John Worboys’ release earlier this year
David Gauke said it would not be appropriate to seek a judicial review of the Parole Board’s ruling to free Worboys after less than 10 years.
Victims as well as the mayor of London are seeking a judicial review. The Parole Board said it is confident correct procedures were followed.
Worboys, 60, jailed in 2009 for assaults on 12 women in London.
Mr Gauke said there would be a wider review of how the Parole Board deals with victims.
Yvette Cooper Labour MP is disappointed. So are the victims. Some thought to take legal action.
At the trial, the court heard how Worboys gave his victims drug-laced champagne. They claimed he was celebrating as if he won a big lottery win.
The former black cab driver was given an indeterminate sentence of imprisonment. A minimum term of eight years, for public protection. But in January parole board announced Warboys could leave prison.
John Worboys thought to have carried out more than 100 rapes. Also sexual assaults on women in London between 2002 and 2008.
Victims’ groups and representatives shocked and outraged by the news.
Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, is considering launching his own judicial review in the wake of Mr Gauke’s decision. He sent a pre-action letter to parole bosses warning them they could face legal action. Will it make any difference? His support could help other victims and future assaults.
The rapists revelations has made women think twice before taking a black cab.
Twitter @YourNewsUKtv https://twitter.com/YourNewsUKtv
— YourNewsUKtv (@YourNewsUKtv) January 19, 2018
Subscribe to YNUKtv
Keep up to date on the latest content, here at YNUKtv. Subscribe below.